Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Deferred Gratification -II-

In the late 1960's, a psychologist named Walter Mischel conducted an experiment on a group of four-year olds. He gave each child a marsmallow and told them that if they don't eat  it and wait for him to return in the room after 20 minutes, he would give them another one as a reward for being patient. Some children ate the marsmallow right away while a number of them were able to resist the temptation and waited.
 Fourteen years later, Mischel followed up on the children. Those who couldn't wait suffered from low self-esteem and was regarded by their teachers and parents as stubborn, prone to envy and easily frustrated. Meanwhile, those who did not eat their marsmallows were more self-motivated, educationally successful and emotionally intelligent.
This study proved that people who believe in delayed gratification for better returns lead more positive lives. 

2 comments:

  1. Greetings,
    the topic is crucial and I believe a magnificent horizon of neuropsychiatry is hidden beneath.
    I came across with a very similar point of view recently, and would like to share it here.
    Philip Zimbardo: The psychology of time
    http://go.ted.com/bl2GvA
    But honestly, I'm not sure if he says anything new, in the best scenario, it's just a summary I presume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyy,
    Thank you very much my for your kind comment.
    You may be right. I am not a professional on about it. I am just social worker graduate student newly, but as some social psychology information I have read it is interesting.
    I noticed the link. I'll check it out. Thank you.
    take care pls,

    ReplyDelete